Tuesday, February 03, 2015

{Fitbit Flex}

Well I got a new toy a week ago last Sunday. When we went to Costco, I decided to grab a Fitbit Flex. It is basically like a hi-tech pedometer. I like it because it hooks up to my cellphone, so I can check how many steps I've taken throughout the day. If you checkout the website, it does a lot of other things as well. I decided to first record five days without really trying to do anything different. I just wanted to get a baseline for how many steps I take in a day. That is VERY eye-opening to do. I was under the impression that I am walking much more than I am. The recommendation is for 10,000 steps a day. I averaged around 4,500 a day. I couldn't believe it! Well now that I knew this, I decided to aim for the 10,000 steps a day. It really took an effort at first, but I've come to realize there are many times when I sit and do things when I could be moving. It has been really fun to see how many daily totals have continually gone up. Here is what it looks like:
I am working on one week in a row of hitting my 10,000 step goal, and then I plan to reexamine my schedule to see how to fit in even more exercise. I LOVED it when I worked out before school, but I realized that only works for me for a little while. I end up getting sick after several weeks. Then I can't workout at all, and then I get discouraged about going back to square one. I need to find what works for me. And when you have a busy family, I think you need to be creative! I have even started jogging in the house in small bursts with the kids. Caden LOVES it! And I must admit he is pretty fast. We also sometimes see how many times we can do things. For example, the other day I asked the kids how many times they thought we could go up and down the stairs. They were both into finding out the answer. Lilli was also excited because she knew we were exercising. I figure if I can get the kids to enjoy exercising now, I am doing pretty well :)

Until later!
Barby

No comments: