Friday, January 15, 2016

{office organization: used candle jar turned pen holder}

After we moved into our new house, the office somewhat became the dumping ground for things that had not yet found a permanent home. It bothered me to see things piled up every time I passed the office. Over the holiday break, I finally had time to tackle the office. While it is not perfect, it is MUCH better. My goal was to have a desk that I can sit down and use whenever I would like. That's not too much to ask, right? I can happily report that my desk is now to that point, and it has been for a couple of weeks now. I wanted to show you one thing I did to better organize my pens and pencils. It was super easy, and I love how it looks:
Isn't it cute? And to think it was something I almost just threw away. Here is what it looked liked in the beginning:
That's a thumb hole in my sweatshirt, not a real hole :)
Yep. It was the glass container left from one of my holiday candles:
 
I went into Pinterest and looked for different ideas to clear it out. I ended up blending a couple of them. I started by taking the label off. While I was doing this, I had some water boiling. I then put a paper towel into the jar:
I held the jar in the boiling water. This melted the wax enough to make it separate from the glass:
I then used the paper towel to hold onto and twist to twist the wax out. I also used a butter knife to pop out the wax:
I poured boiling water into the jar to get the rest of the wax off:
I then added the extra wax into a candle with a similar scent:
I used paper towels to wipe out the rest of the wax, and it was clean:
I love it that the candle also has the cute lid:
It looks great on my desk:
I have a few other empty candle jars that I want to clean out to use as well. I can think of many uses for them, especially because they have lids.

Give it a try if you have some :)

Until later!
Barby

No comments: