Tuesday, October 13, 2015

{Refrigerator chaos: attempting to keep order}

I really like to cook. We send lunches for the kids every day. I try to keep healthy snacks on hand also for all of us to eat. I will freely admit I am not always very good with keeping up with going through what is in there at the end of the week. This means that many times our refrigerator ends up getting somewhat out of control. This problem gets even worse if we have leftovers of any kind in those HUGE containers. Some of you are probably like, "It can't be that bad." My sister-in-law Samantha has teased me about how crazy it gets. Before I show you, just know this is a little worse than normal. We had a couple different leftovers in there, plus there was a casserole dish taking up quite a bit of space. There was a full bowl of apples. Here's just a little looksy (I feel like it looks like a refrigerator you would see in an episode of Hoarders):
I had quite a few things that had a little bit of something left. For example, that Prego jar had about a 1/2 cup left in it, so we added that to the sauce from the Cheesy Tortellini with Ground Beef (which was one of the freezer meals and was great, by the way) we had for dinner Sunday night. This is what the door looked like:
Yep. There it is. Not pretty... Part of the problem is that I am still trying to figure out how I want to organize our new (for us because we moved) refrigerator. The layout just isn't working for me. I even went online to try to find some different layouts for our model of LG. No luck. One thing that I knew I needed to do was move the milk out of the door, because the temperature rises pretty quickly. This especially happens when Caden opens up the refrigerator to grab a snack before he has made a decision. But before any of that could happen, I needed to pull everything out. That's what I did. I removed everything and decided whether or not it was still good. I feel soooo horrible throwing away food. That is one of the reasons we are now doing more with meal planning and freezer meals. I hate waste. After I consolidated the food, I wiped down all of the shelves with a natural cleaner. Then I was ready to play Tetris and put this thing back together.

Are you ready for the after? It's pretty shocking...
I must say that this was before grocery shopping. However, because we didn't end up eating at home last week Tuesday or Thursday, I still have plenty of the freezer meals left for this week that I made last weekend. I really only need to replenish our produce and milk in a couple of days. If you look at the pic, I raised the top shelf and moved the milk and other beverages to the right side in the main fridge area. The bottom wide drawer has our meats and cheeses. The left upper drawer has veggies, and the right upper has fruits. The very top left has dairy products like yogurts, half and half, and sour cream. The top now only has a couple of jars, because I was able to shift almost all of those to the door once I moved the beverages:
http://theglamoroushousewife.com/2012/01/how-to-organize-your-refrigerator/
I would still like to do some more things to keep the refrigerator organized, but I'm not really sure what. I went on Pinterest for some ideas, but some were even a little too organized for me:
That's just too extreme for me. I want it to me organized, but I still want it to resemble a refrigerator. 

This would be Ryan's ultimate nightmare...a Lazy Susan in the refrigerator:
http://www.sliptalk.com/20-life-hacks/
That's not going to happen. I can just see Caden and Lilli challenging each other to see who could spin the table the fastest.

I must admit that I really like the way this one looks. There is still a lot of space, and you can see through the containers:
http://dailysavings.allyou.com/2012/12/26/how-get-organized/
I think I might look into getting a couple of those sideways drink holder things in the upper left hand corner of this pic. 

How do you keep your refrigerator organized? I am the only one who ends up with the insane chaos? :)

Until later!
Barby

No comments: