Friday, October 30, 2015

{no more spilling shopping bags}

I am still in full-blown party prep mode, but I thought I would sneak in a quick post. I want to share with you something that I started doing at the end of the summer, and it has made my unpacking after grocery trips a lot better. We have a mini-van, so we have plenty of room in the back. Almost too much room. This is only a problem when the third row of seats is stowed. Here is what the back looks like when the third row is stowed:
So there have been times when my groceries slip around a bit. Most of the time that also means that some of the canned goods or anything that rolls will also fall out. Many times it isn't a real problem; it just means it will take a little longer to unload the van. There was this one time, however, when a container of fresh mozzarella balls rolled under a seat. I believe it was my sister-in-law Samantha who discovered that little treasure under the seat a month later... Luckily, it hadn't exploded. Can you even imagine? Yuck. Anyway, I looked in stores for a carrier or something for the back, but I didn't find anything I liked. Then I realized I didn't need to buy anything. Everything I needed was already there. It was in the first pic:
There is a seat belt that is just hanging there when I have the third row put down. All I need to do is pull the seat belt through the handles of the bags. Then I twist it twice when it is through the last handle. It looks like this:
Or this:
It doesn't get tangled or anything. Once you undo where you looped, it generally just retracts back on its own. I have been able to do this with a TON of bags. I could use the seat belt also on the other side if I needed. Since I have been doing this, I haven't had any of my bags dump over while I am driving. Yay!

Until later!
Barby

No comments: