Wednesday, October 14, 2015

{my twist on gluten-free banana bread}

Because I have been gluten-free since May of 2013, I have had to reinvent quite a few recipes. This has largely impacted my baking. One recipe that I come back to time and time again, and that I could basically make in my sleep, is gluten-free banana bread (I remembered that I promised to share this when I mentioned it in this post). I have tried MANY different all purpose gluten-free flours, and there is one that I definitely like the most:
It has worked very well in every recipe I've tried, especially the banana bread. I decided to make a loaf on Tuesday, so here is what I use:
Gluten-Free Banana Bread
2 C. GF flour
3/4 C. sugar
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C. strawberry banana yogurt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbs. butter, melted

I know, it's weird to use strawberry banana yogurt. It works somehow. I even made it one time when All I had on hand was peach yogurt. That was fine, too. I also didn't inadvertently leave vanilla off of the list. With the yogurt, there is enough sweet and the vanilla is not needed. This is a recipe I use all of the time, and both kiddos love. It is also hubby approved, and I've given out the recipe multiple times after bringing it to places. I think you will like it, too :)

Whenever I have bananas that have ripened a little too much for us, I throw them right into the freezer. I don't even peel them. Then when I need them, I take them out of the freezer to thaw in a bowl. Once they are thawed, I cut the end off and squeeze them into my bowl. They pop right out. Here were the bananas I used. Two were frozen and one just ripe:
Lilli enjoyed squeezing the bananas out of their peels:
 The first thing I do when I am making this recipe is get out all of the ingredients:
Lilli was my helper last night :)

We started with the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt,....). We mixed those in a bowl and put them to the side:
I like to put each ingredient away after we use it. Makes things less chaotic.

Then we got together the wet ingredients (bananas, eggs, yogurt). We mix that together with a wooden spoon:
I LOVE this wooden spoon. It looks so horrible, but it is my favorite utensil in my kitchen by far.

After this we added the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients little by little:
While Lilli was mixing I grabbed my loaf pan and wiped it down with butter. I just take a paper towel, wipe it across out butter in the dish, and then I smear it around the loaf pan. I then shake some sugar into the pan and rotate it around so the pan is covered with the sugar: 
This makes a nice little sugar crust on the bread without being overpowering.
Then we put it into the oven to bake. This usually takes around an hour to bake. I've found that the gluten-free recipes usually take longer than the non-gluten-free counterparts. No big deal. We had plenty to do.
 
Ryan's favorite is coming into the house after I've baked banana bread. The entire house smells amazing. And nothing beats a warm piece of banana bread from the oven with a little bit of butter :)
Until later!
Barby

1 comment:

Diane said...

Lilli is so cute. Lilli is amazing as well as Caden . Love you al !