Thursday, October 22, 2015

{I love all things Sherlock Holmes}

I am sure it is no shock that I love to read. I guess that kind of goes hand in hand with being an English teacher :) I really love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. I just love the character. I wrote about that a little bit more here. I also was introduced to the BBC's show Sherlock last year:
If you have never seen this show, I HIGHLY recommend it. We watched it on Netflix, and I can't wait for the new season to start. One of the cool things about the show is how they shoot it. It is almost like watching movies instead of a series; each episode is 1 1/2 hours, and each season has three episodes. It is very easy to binge watch this one :)

Getting back to this year, I found out about a book series written by Andrew Lane. Here is a short description of the series from the publisher's website: 

The year is 1868, and Sherlock Holmes is fourteen, but he's already solving some serious mysteries. In this thrilling mystery series, we witness Sherlock’s true education in detection, as he discovers the dastardly crimes of some brilliantly sinister villains. 

So the entire idea behind the series is the backstory of how Sherlock became...Sherlock. The Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Estate even endorsed the series. That's big. Since the beginning of the school year, I have read the first three in the series. Here they are:
The next in the series should be here for me tomorrow from the library. That is one HUGE benefit of working in a high school with a library--I can get books ordered from other libraries whenever I would like. Our library is awesome about that!

I also read another Sherlock spin-off series. Well, I read the first two in the Mary Russell series. Here is a little synopsis of this series: 

When a modern young woman literally stumbles into an elderly Sherlock Holmes, a brilliant mystery series begins. It is 1915, and Holmes is retired and quietly engaged in the study of honeybees, when he meets fifteen-year-old Mary Russell—gawky, egotistical, and recently orphaned, and with an intellect to impress even Sherlock Holmes—and match him wit for wit.

The first one was recommended to me, so I checked it out. I thought the first one was kinda cute, so I decided to read the second one. No-go. I just didn't like a major plot turn; in fact, it kinda creeped me out...not in a good way. I think there are at least 12 books in the series, but I was good after the second one. Here is what the first two look like (even though you can't judge a book by its cover):
This series, unlike Andrew Lane's series, has not been endorsed by the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Estate. At first I thought this was strictly for monetary reasons, but after reading book two, I am not sure if that's the only reason.

Are you into any good book series? I have read some other titles here and there, such as The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, but I love a good series. I am open to suggestions!

Until later!
Barby

No comments: