Sunday, October 04, 2015

{creative pancakes: icing bottles + pastry bags}

Caden and Lilli love pancakes. I always keep the gluten free Bisquick on hand so I can quickly whip up some pancakes that all of us can eat. Yesterday morning was a pancake morning. To make the pancakes a little more special, I let the kids choose two colors each for their batters. I then gave them my Wilton icing squeeze bottles so they could also design their own pancakes. They had a blast!

First I made the pancake batter and split it up evenly into four bowls (so each one got two different colors):
 The kids then chose their colors. Caden wanted red and yellow, so he could make Pikachu:
 Lilli wanted to make pink and blue:
Right now I only have two squeeze bottles, so I also used gallon-sized storage bags and my frosting tips. Each kiddo got one icing bottle and one bag with a small tip. They liked being able to use both of them. They even filled their "pastry bags" on their own:
 I filled the icing bottles. They were a little too tricky for the kiddos to fill:
 Caden wanted me to take this pic:
After the butter melted in the pans, the kids then started making their pancakes:
 First we reviewed what we can and cannot touch on a stove top. Lilli was big on making hearts:
 Here is Caden working on a Pikachu pancake:
 I decided to make some, too:
 Lilli thought her name was delicious:
 Here are some of our creations:
If you notice the plate on the right, Caden made a large "C" and also a 6 :)
These pancakes do take a little longer to make because of setup, and yes, there is much more clean-up, but the kids had so much fun. Totally worth it.

Until later!
Barby

2 comments:

Diane said...

They are little chefs much love from all of us to all of you

The Ames Family said...

Thank you! Yes, they are very creative :)