Wednesday, October 21, 2015

{beverage options: using our SodaStream}

Ryan and I have been trying really hard to eliminate soda from our diets. If we do drink it, we try to opt for regular versus diet sodas. I have been looking into some other options for us. We have some other beverages we really like, but they can be a bit pricey. Here are some of the other options we like:
Izze 

San Pelligrino
Thank you to Cara for introducing this to us :)
Honest Tea
Like I said, these are great, but they can be expensive. We try to buy our Izze at Costco when we go there, but at the grocery store I don't like to buy them unless they are on sale. 

I like these products because I do not feel guilty allowing Caden and Lilli to drink them. I also think that given the choice, the kids would opt for an Izze instead of a soda. They are very rarely allowed to have soda. 

One thing that we have that I really don't take advantage of is our SodaStream:
This machine allows us to make our own sparkling drinks. There is no reason we can't make our own "Izze" at home. Then the kids could even choose what flavor they would like. I decided to hunt out some SodaStream recipes. I had never looked this up. We have used the SodaStream to make lime or lemon water. We did try to make a cola before, but that really isn't any better for you than drinking a regular cola. I didn't want to just pour some prepackaged syrup into the water. I found this interesting website with SodaStream recipes from various websites. Here are some of the listed recipes:

I really want to try the Concord Grape and Lemon Soda Recipe. Look at these ingredients:


lemons


pound Concord grapes, rinsed and stems removed
1/2 cup sugar
cinnamon stick, broken in half
Pinch salt
Soda water (which I will make with the soda stream)
This looks delicious!!! We will have to give one or two of these recipes a try over the next couple of weeks. I will let you know :)
Thanks!
Barb

No comments: