Friday, September 25, 2015

{flat tire memory put to good use}

I remember when I was younger and my brother and I were traveling somewhere in the car with my dad. It might have been in our old van. That I remember it all is really a miracle, because anyone who knows me knows that I have a horrible memory...anyway... I remember when I was younger we got a flat tire. My dad then unbuckled and had Danny and me get out of the car, climb up the hill next to the highway, and wait up there while he changed the tire. A police officer stopped to help, and he commended my dad for getting us out of the vehicle. He mentioned that the week before someone was changing their tire when the car was hit. We were much safer up on that hill and away from the traffic.

Flash forward to tonight...

Pam, the kids and I were heading to the Dells when Pam said to me, "Is that us or is that the road?" The van had started that bumping motion. Then I noticed the person next to us slowing down. We made eye contact right as the passenger mouthed the words "flat tire." We pulled over immediately. Yep, we had a flat. A pretty bad one. Of course...on the highway side. I unbuckled my belt, and I turned around to tell the kiddos to put on their shoes. We needed to get out and away from the van. And that's what we did. Lilli wasn't too sure about this:
But I sat down with them and we watched Phineas and Ferb while we waited. Thank God for Netflix :)
You can't tell from this pic, but I was also freaking out. Shortly after sitting down, I noticed a HUGE spider about two feet from us. I didn't want to scare the kiddos, so I didn't say anything. I just kept watching it to make sure it didn't move too far. Then I felt like spiders were all over me, but I kept my cool. That was definitely a mom win!

A nice gentleman also stopped to see if we needed help. We informed him we were waiting for AAA and also our husbands. He then told us to watch out for poison ivy. Great... I just kept saying in my head, "Leaves of three, let it be!" Reading that Fancy Nancy book about the poison ivy really paid off. I think we were in the clear. Phew! Here was our view from our spot:
I am happy to saw we all arrived safely at the hotel. I texted my dad right away to tell him that I remember what he taught me. He didn't even remember it at first! Does anyone else do this? It was a great piece of advice that really stuck with me.

Now bring on the water park and arcade games!

Until later!
Barby

2 comments:

Diane said...

You are a great mommy!

The Ames Family said...

Thank you! I try :)