Monday, September 28, 2015

{Christmas shopping organization}

I know it is still September, but I have already done a nice chunk of my Christmas shopping. I have purchased some things online and some things in some stores. My biggest problem with buying things early is that sometimes I get so excited about what I bought that I can't wait until Christmas. This year I have decided that will not be an issue.  

I am a HUGE fan of Google Docs, so I made a spreadsheet to organize my Christmas shopping for the last two years. It works really well for me. I also share this spreadsheet with Ryan so he can see what I have bought and what we still need to get. I created a list template for myself that I can just copy each year. Here is what it looks like:
It is really easy to add rows above or below wherever you need them. Click here if you would like to use the template. You just need to open it up, go to File, and then Make a Copy. You can then rename it and add in whatever you want. 

I add as many rows as I need for each family member. I leave a blank row between family members. For example, here is a snippet from mine for this year:

I like having everything in one spot so I always know how much I need want to get. This year my goal is to not spend a ton of money on things. I want to try to give each person at least one handmade gift. This includes Caden and Lilli. I have some ideas about what I would like to do. Once I am done with a person on the list, I highlight his or her name so I know at a glance I am done. My goal is usually to be done with my shopping by Thanksgiving. This does not happen every year for me. Last year, I was way behind with my shopping. Everything still ended up being great.

Once I have the items I have ordered or purchased at the store, I have a spot where I put all of them. I just use totes to store everything. I keep it all in one place so I know exactly where it is. Everything except the gifts for Ryan. He cannot be trusted to not look. He is one of those people who will peek at the gifts if given the chance. I need to hide his :)

Did you start your Christmas shopping already? Anyone else doing some homemade gifts? I will let you know later what I am hoping to make for the kiddos.

Until later!
Barby

No comments: