Tuesday, September 10, 2013

{never give up!}

Yesterday was Caden's first day of ice hockey. He has been SOOOO excited to go. We got his new helmet, and he got even more excited. He doesn't quite understand why he can't wear it everywhere. I knew it was going to be tough, because Caden has never been on the ice. When we got there (after getting the ice skates on---which takes much longer than one would think), he was pumped to get out on the ice with the other kids. And immediately...he fell. Then he fell again. And again. I could see the frustration on his face. That expression was the same expression I get when I don't "get" something at first. I was off on the side telling him how great he was doing every time he fell. The coach told him how great he was doing. At one point he was down, and it didn't look like he was going to get back up. I kept telling him how this was just like when he taught himself to ride on two wheels; he kept falling that evening, but he always got back up. Luckily Lilli had some gloves in her coat that I brought, so we got some gloves on his hands. And he got back up.

Not too sure...

Here he is doing a little balance check--
 The balance check didn't work. He went down again--
 

Dada got there and went out to help Caden. At first he seemed to just get more frustrated. Dada kept telling him to slow down, and then he would have more control.

It wasn't smooth:

I will be completely honest...at some points I had images of Bambi on ice, and then I couldn't stop laughing. But whenever he looked over at me, I made sure to give him the thumbs up.
video

But he didn't give up :) He kept trying. After class ended, he wanted to go back on the ice and try some more. I was so proud of him. I made sure to tell him this. Lilli also watched from the sidelines.
Don't you love the shorts and winter coat combo. She also had a blanket for her lap that she wasn't wearing at this point.
As we walked to the car after class, he told me he almost gave up. I told him I could tell, but the important thing was that he didn't. In a somewhat annoyed voice he said, "Ya, you guys wouldn't let me give up!" My response was, "Nope! That is what our job is. To keep pushing you. Sometimes we know you can do things that you don't think you can do." He just nodded and kept walking. And then he stopped to put on his helmet (in the almost 90 degree weather).

It was a good day :)

Until later!

Barby

No comments: