Wednesday, September 18, 2013

{Grandma's recipe: Meat, Potatoes, and Eggs}

Yesterday I was describing to a few of my co-workers what I was making for dinner last night. It is something that I remember my grandma making a lot when I was younger. I also always have her make it when she comes for her yearly visit to Wisconsin. We LOVED it growing up, and my family still LOVES it today. In fact, when I told my brother on Sunday that I was making it for dinner on Tuesday, he told me he would be coming for dinner. Yep, it's that good. The thing is...there is no fancy name for it. And truthfully, it doesn't even look that pretty. But it is good...really good. The other great part about it is that you can prep everything the night before, which is what I did.

I browned up about 1 1/4 lbs. of ground beef (I used half beef half turkey) with one chopped onion the night before:

I liberally seasoned the meat with salt, pepper, paprika, and dried parsley flakes. You have to add more than you would think. Because potatoes will be added to this when it cooks, a lot of the seasoning will be sucked up by those spuds.

Grandma said she usually used about 1 lb. of meat. She liked this recipes when her five kids were young because it didn't require a lot of meat ($$$), and because she used potatoes in it she could stretch it as much as necessary.

I also peeled and sliced about 4 or 5 potatoes and placed them in a container with cold water:

I put the cooled meat and the potatoes (in separate containers) in the refrigerator for the night.

Here's the fun part. When I got home after picking the kids up, I put the meat in a deep pan and spread it out. Then I had the kids put the potatoes on top of the meat. I told them to spread the potatoes like the rat does on" Ratatouille."

What Remy's Ratatouille looked like in the movie.
They were very helpful:

The important part is to first put the potatoes in a single overlapping layer over the meat. Then do a second layer if you want extra potatoes. I did.

They then added some stock (about 2 cups) to the pan for me. I used vegetable stock, but you could use whatever you have. Grandma would usually just use water.
He is such a ham :)

Then we added another layer of seasoning:
I think Caden could grind that peppermill all day if I let him!

I put the pot on the stovetop with the lid capped, and then I put the heat at medium to bring it to a simmer. It cooks for about 30-45 minutes. Check it once in awhile to make sure there is still enough liquid. If the potatoes are not cooked, and there is not liquid left, you need to add more.

Once the potatoes are cooked, you mix it up. This will break up the potatoes:

You then make four wells in the mixture for the eggs:

Crack in the eggs:

Then don't touch it for about 1-2 minutes to allow for the egg whites to start to set up. Then you can take your spatula and mix the egg up inside of the well. Let it cook for another 1-2 minutes. Once the egg is pretty much cooked, mix it all up again. It should look like this:
If you used 100% beef instead of half turkey like I did, the meat would be a little darker.

Like I said, it may not be the prettiest (I think it's pretty), but it tastes great. Fresh parsley would give it brighter green throughout. At this point you will want to try it and see if you need to add more salt or pepper. I usually end up adding more salt.

The best part is that you serve it with ketchup!

What kid doesn't love ketchup?! Mine do. Caden loved the meal so much that he had three helpings of it:
How hilarious is that shirt?
Hope you like it! I need to come up with a flashy name for it :)

Until later,
Barby

3 comments:

Diane said...

Sounds good have to try it one day.

Diane said...

It is hash !

The Ames Family said...

Similar, but it is not greasy like hash can be :) It is definitely a feel good food. I will be posting my Grandma's potato soup recipe soon. That is another great one! Love you