Flash forward about 10 years. Peter Pan hats. The template made it look so easy. In fact, it was pretty easy. But again there was that darn problem of threading the machine. Have I mentioned how much I HATE the bobbin. I did make 8 Peter Pan hats:
...but they were not pretty if you looked at the inside. I accomplished making the hats somehow even though I was still incorrectly threading the bobbin. This sewing experience was different. I LOVED it. I didn't even get upset after trying TIME after TIME after TIME to thread the bobbin. I guess with age comes patience. After finished the hats, I decided that I don't want to pack up and forget about my sewing machine. I want to keep using it. I thought I would start with some easy projects. And that is where my CRAFTY SUNDAY comes into play. As I mentioned before, I am going to take some time every Sunday to do some sort of craft. I need that time. My list of Things To Do is going to be put on hold.
This Sunday I started with a craft for the kids...of course :) They came with my to JoAnn Fabrics, and each kiddo picked out fabric for a pillow case. I figured that would be a relatively easy project. I think I ended up being pretty success. Okay, I made Caden's first, so his isn't perfect. He picked out Batman fabric:
But do you know what? He LOVES it. It doesn't matter that the inside looks horrible. My grandma would cringe. I know I will only get better from here on out. Here is how I made the pillowcase--
The first thing I did was grab another pillowcase to examine. I flipped it inside out and measured it:
Then I made a HUGE mistake (but only on Caden's). I did measure the fabric that was flapped over, but somehow I didn't put the extra 3 3/4" in the final measurements I wrote down. So I cute the material too short on one side. Oh well, I still made it work. It just added a few extra steps. I took an extra piece I had cut off and made it work.
After compiling my (incorrect) measurements, I measured the fabric and chalked lines where I needed to cut:
I cute the piece apart, and then I realized my mistake. Measure twice, cut once. I will always repeat this when sewing from now on...
Here is the extra piece I measured and then ironed to prepare for sewing:
Here is the final product for Caden's Batman Pillowcase:
He LOVED it.
Miss Lilli wanted her own pillowcase as well, and this is the fabric she picked out:
She chose this over princess fabric! I couldn't believe it. I love the retro look. Her pillowcase was much easier to sew. I had completely figured out my machine by then, plus I knew to avoid the measuring error from Caden's. After measuring, ironing, and pinning, Lilli's pillowcase only took about 10 minutes for me to sew.
Here's her finished product:
I didn't pay attention to the direction of the pattern when I purchased the fabric. Next time I would buy two yards in order to flip it so that it would run horizontally on the pillow versus vertically.
My next project is going to be for me. I am going to try to make a knit skirt. We will see how that goes :)
I will leave you with a pic of Caden from last night at his Peter Pan 4K Open House. It is hard to believe my little guy isn't so little anymore... But he is still so darn cute!