Monday, February 13, 2012

The slow cooker is my friend...

I have NEVER been a fan of using my slow cooker. I don't know why exactly. I know it would make my life a lot easier if I would just embrace this piece of kitchen cookware. I just always seem to think that everything ends up tasting the same. I need to get over this. I think I just haven't tried enough recipes. I think I've written about this before, but I obviously I still haven't tried anything new. That is going to change.

Yesterday when we were grocery shopping after church, I stopped in the aisle with all of the different season packets. I saw they have quite a selection now for slow cookers. I saw one for a beef stew and thought, "What the heck! I'll give it a try." I read the back of the packet to make sure I had everything that would be needed. I even put everything together yesterday while the kids were napping. Well, Lilli was napping, and Caden was "taking a break." This morning (which is Leonna's last day ): ) I just left a note for Leonna to turn in the slow cooker at 10am. I know that I will walk in and be greeted by an amazing smell. It is usually that way. But then sometimes when it comes time to eat the food, it's mush. Yuck. I am hoping tonight will be different.

It has honestly been years since I really used the slow cooker. I of course use it sometimes if I make spaghetti sauce or chili or something, but that's different. That isn't really cooking in there, I just use it to keep the food warm.

This time I am really open to trying some new recipes. So if anyone has any amazing recipes for the slow cooker, let me have them! We aren't very picky, so it seems like we should like the food. We'll see.

*********************************************************************************
THE VERDICT:
I wrote the above portion before trying tonight's dinner. In the end, I thought it was... pretty good! I will definitely keep up with trying new recipes. Here is what it looked like:


Night!

No comments: